Monday, May 28, 2012

Day Five: Baden

Since we did not advance to the next round, we got to spend the whole day in Baden, walking around the beautiful little town and doing some well deserved shopping. 

In the morning, we had a short performance in the square of the town, which I was unable to sing for... due to a complete and utter lack of ability to phonate. That's right, folks. I lost my voice. On a performance tour. How's that for some unlucky irony? So here's what went down. I stood out there in my spot, with the rest of the choir. And pulled a pop star. Full animation, mouthed every word, absolutely no sound. Except there was no auto-tuned, perfect track of my voice being played over speakers to fool everyone into thinking that I was singing. Nope. Instead there was an anemic-sounding soprano section and a little hint of frustration on my face. And Chris only laughed a little bit when he scanned the choir and saw me full-on lip synching. But it's okay. We all got through it. 

Anyway, here's a picture of us performing, compliments of Wolfgang, the guy who was in charge of organizing all us crazy choir kids from around the world into a well-oiled machine of a competition. (And let me tell ya, folks, that ain't easy to do. We're kind of crazy.)

That building behind us is the theater where the competition took place. It was way beautiful and historic... which almost made up for the fact that it was not air conditioned. Almost. 

After this little shenanigans was over, we got to spend the whole rest of the day shopping. And guys.... it was awesome. I bought this adorable little mint-green skirt (that I may or may not have kind of stolen from Molly. She picked up the wrong size, and I picked up the right one. OKAY?!) and.... a beautiful new handbag. 

Isn't it beautiful??

Molly and I. This is the "WE JUST BOUGHT BAGS!!!" picture. 


And after a full day of shopping, we stopped at our new favorite coffee shop, Clementine, and got the best chai in the world. Seriously, guys, this chai is so good. I mean, it even looks pretty. GUH.

The. best. chai. ever


And after our afternoon of shopping and fun, we went to the final awards ceremony, where we were awarded Silver, with a score of 88 out of 100. (Let's take a second and review. 88. Out of 100. AT AN INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION. Haec Dies!!) And the winning choir, this AMAZING choir from Argentina, also performed at the ceremony. They were real good. What made them different from us? They had so much fun up there performing. They were dancing, they were smiling, they were having fun. And they were dang good. 

To celebrate the success of the competition, we were then invited to this wonderful little events venue thing, and we all partied together! They played awesome music and we danced the night away. So. fun. :) 

Great day, guys, great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment